The Peak is a fantastic area to go off road riding. We offer introductory and technical guided rides. Introductory rides are either on old railway routes now set up as off road tracks – Monsal, Tissington and Hartington trails. Or you can ride around the beautiful Ladybower, Derwent and Howden dams in the heart of the Dark Peak . Technical sessions have a large choice of excellent tracks and bridleways to explore allowing you to hone your skills!
While riding your guide will be able to tell you about the local history and geology of the beautiful Peak areas. Hills are kept to a minimum on all these rides.
Introductory rides – 1 day – £90/person
The session will introduce basic skills:
- Safety on the bike/helmet/gloves
- Seated positon/ saddle height
- Looking ahead at your line of route
- Being prepared for the unexpected in front of you
- Covering your brakes / smooth braking
- Selecting the right gear
- Standing up on your peddles/attack position / peddle position
- Steering, cornering
Technical mountain bike session – 1 day – £90/person
For riders with experience who want to take on more technical off road terrain. Learning new bike handling techniques while on a good off road ride in the Dark Peak area taking in bridleways (some rocky), single track, downhill, uphill tracks.
The day will cover:
- Rider position/attack position
- Downhill position
- Tree roots
- Riding along off camber single track
- Small drops – rollable through
- Unweighting front wheel to cross small ditches
- Bunny hops
Guided Mountain bike route – One day
You already have good skills on your own bike and would like a guided off road route of at least 15 miles of challenging mixed terrain. We’ll be there to give riding advice and support through the ride. There are some great routes in the Peak to choose from.
Mountain bike hire
This can be arranged if required. Prices range from around £15/day for a hardtail bike, £50/day for full suspension.